We all know That One Person. You know who I’m talking about. The person who unfailingly rolls a perfect joint every time. When everyone else is rolling uneven ones – that bulge like a snake that just ate a rabbit – there is always that one person crafting perfectly-straight, even, almost ergonomically-perfect joints. Whether they’re sitting on a park bench or perched on the rim of an active volcano. Nothing fazes them, the Michelangelo of the doob.
Even if you stick to pipes and vaping because your rolling skills are subpar, you can actually develop the skills you need to be the best joint crafter in your crew. Here’s how to do it. For starters, you need to know what makes a joint perfect. Everyone has different tastes, of course, but generally speaking a joint needs to draw easily, burn evenly, and not fall apart in your hand. For most of us, that’s a tall ask. In order to be successful, you need rolling papers that are the right size, and weed that’s the perfect consistency. There’s no better way to ruin a joint than having flower that’s uneven. You’ll also need a small piece of heavy paper, such as a business card or even a cigarette pack, to make a filter. It’s hard to overstate the importance of having a filter so your lips don’t touch the paper…which can not only tear a joint, but also prevents you from enjoying every single leaf.
- Depending on the size of joint you want, from a beginners perspective, a single rolling paper is often enough.
- Break a piece of cardboard off the business card or cigarette pack, and roll it between your thumb and pointer finger. Forming a tiny tube-like piece, to be used as a filter.
- Now, using your pointer fingers and middle from both hands (and both thumbs for balance), place the paper directly in the middle.
- Place the filter on the far left (or right) depending on which hand you write with, go for the opposite. Ensure the end of the filter lines up with the end of the paper.
- Sprinkle your preferred bud in. Don’t worry about how even it is, for now evenly distribute from one end to the other.
- Using the Six fingers you chose (left pointer, left middle; right pointer, right middle; both thumbs) slowly roll your fingers back and forth in the circular motion, transitioning the flower into more of a “stick” form.
- Use your pointer and middle on both hands and pull down while pushing up with your thumbs, keeping the flower as inside as possible.
- As the glue side comes up, lick both ends and fold over, forming a closed stick.
- Using the end of a pen, fire extinguisher, or other “packing” style object, push all the cannabis in and twist the end then shake to move and even throughout.
- Grab a lighter and enjoy.
Of course, you don’t need to be a great roller to get a good joint. That’s what pre-rolls are for! So if you don’t have the time (or inclination, patience or skill) to become a proficient jay-master, you can always go to your favourite weed store and buy singles or packs of joints that are guaranteed to be perfect every single time.